Established in 2015, these two unique degree programs were designed with new signature courses open to all advanced undergraduates, graduate, and doctoral students in order to provide multiple pathways into the transdisciplinary world of interactive entertainment, science and healthcare.
Interested students should contact Prof. Marientina Gotsis (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Collin Kelly (email@example.com).
The Master of Arts in Cinematic Arts (MA) with an emphasis in Media Arts, Games and Health is administered by the Graduate School in conjunction with the Creative Media & Behavioral Health Center. This is a highly selective program that provides intense and personalized mentorship to each student.
- The goal of the curriculum is to provide integrative research and practice-based training to enable students to combine prior/concurrent education and experience toward design, development, and evaluation of health- and wellness-related interventions that incorporate entertainment media experiences (film, games, virtual reality, mobile media, public interactives, transmedia, and emerging genres).
- This non-terminal degree can also be completed as a progressive (for current USC undergrads) or dual degree and is aimed at scientists, health professionals, and artists who wish to acquire applied arts and research training en route to a research, clinical, or industry career.
- Key highlights:
- non-terminal degree, 1-2 years
- progressive/dual, 30-36 units
- best for generalists/scientists/health professionals/polymaths
- integrative project required (1-2 semester)
The Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Interactive Media with an emphasis in Games and Health is administered in conjunction with the Creative Media & Behavioral Health Center. This is a highly competitive program that builds on the strengths of our top-rated game design curriculum.
- This emphasis aims to provide specialized training and hands-on experience to enrolled MFA students toward design, development, and evaluation of interactive entertainment for health and happiness.
- Students are expected to innovate with original works in film, games, virtual reality, mobile media, public interactives, transmedia, and emerging genres.
- This terminal degree is aimed at artists, media makers, storytellers, and technologists who wish to develop original works and develop new genres. Careers of graduates include senior designer, producer, or faculty.
- The emphasis can be declared late in the degree program so long as the required courses have been taken and the thesis project falls within the scope of the degree.
- Key highlights:
- terminal degree, 3 years
- cohort-based, 50 units
- best for artists/designers/producers
- thesis project required (2-3 semesters)